Whether you’ve just started your breastfeeding journey or you’ve been here and done this, we know breastfeeding ain’t always a cake walk so we’re bringing you our top 3 mama must-haves to keep you and baby happy, healthy and well-fed!
1. Natural Deodorant
You’re probably already paying extra attention to what you’re putting in your body, but what about what you’re putting on it? Because of the proximity of the breasts to the underarms, your deodorant can very easily make its way into baby’s mouth. You could opt to skip deodorant altogether, but let’s face it… finding time to shower can be a real struggle with a boob barnacle. And no one should have to stink! With real, simple ingredients and absolutely no harsh chemicals or fragrance, Unscented Primal Pit Paste is a breastfeeding-mama-approved way to battle B.O. If your post-baby hormones are giving you some serious stink, Extra Strength Pit Paste might be right for you.
2. Plush Pajamas
Waking up every few hours to feed baby can be exhausting, so the last thing you need to worry about is how to extract your breast from your shirt at 4 a.m., so treat yourself to some nursing-friendly PJs that are cute AND comfy. You’ve earned it, mama.
3. Non-Toxic Nursing Pillow
When it comes to breastfeeding, comfort is key - for both you and baby. Finding the right nursing pillow can make all the difference in finding the perfect position for feeding. We love this organic cotton option from Organic Caboose. It was designed by a nurse to help create the best breastfeeding experience possible, and it doesn't have any of the chemicals or harmful materials you might find in other pillows.
4. Organic Lactation TeaKeeping baby fed can feel like a full-time job, so don't forget to take time for yourself every now and again. Enjoy the ritual of making a nice hot cup of tea and slowly sip a comforting blend like this one from Oat Mama. This plant-powered tea uses herbs like organic fennel seed and nettle leaf to boost milk production naturally.
5. No-Bake Lactation Cookies
And speaking of healthy milk production, these delicious bites are another easy way to help support lactation. They're made with brewer’s yeast, which helps support a healthy milk supply and is an excellent source of vitamins and micronutrients. Yummy cookies without ever turning on the oven? Count us in.
Total Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 2 dozen
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup ground or milled flaxseed
- 3 tablespoons brewer’s yeast
- 1 cup peanut butter or almond butter
- ½ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Add all ingredients except for the chocolate chips into a large mixing bowl. Mix until well combined, then stir in chocolate chips.
- Scoop out 2-tablespoons of mixture at a time and roll into balls. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and enjoy right away or allow to set in the fridge for 30 minutes. Store in an air-tight container and keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Have any other recommendations for breastfeeding mothers? Share them in the comments below!
- Tags: Go Primal